Tuesday, February 17, 2009

You Can't Handle the Truth!

One of the best lines in a movie. Jack Nicholson facing off with Tom Cruise in A Few Good Men. Love that movie!
It's also true for the most part. If someone asks you how you are and let's say you're not having the greatest day, do you really tell them how you're feeling? Or are you like me and say "Good", even though I don't really feel good at all. But really, no one wants to hear the truth. There are some people out there and you know who you are, they will tell their whole life story when you ask them how they are. These are the people I like to call "Debbie Downers". Not because I'm not concerned about them but because something is always wrong. You ask, "how are you" and the response will undoubtedly begin with "Ugh, I woke up late because my dog kept me up whining all night", and end with "Now, I have this terrible headache I can't get rid of", etc and so forth. So, even though I try and handle the truth, sometimes I just can't handle their truth.
Another form of the "truth" that can't be handled has been labeled by comedians and funny people everywhere - A woman asking her husband/boyfriend if she looks fat in whatever she's wearing. Really? I'm sure this happens because it wouldn't be used to describe women so frequently, however WHO DOES THIS? If you look fat in something it's because you are fat. It's certainly not because you're clothes are making you look that way and if they are making your fat look fatter, it's because you're in denial and buying the WRONG size. My husband can attest to me having never asked this question, I'm not a moron and I don't need him to tell me that I'm busting out of my jeans - I can feel it and see it for myself. So all of you ladies out there who can't handle the truth, don't ask the question!
The most important truth, it seems so many people are struggling with is that Jesus is our Saviour. He came to this earth and died on the cross so that we can have eternity with him. It seems that for whatever reason the times have changed so drastically that if you believe this, then you are not being inclusive. It's strange to me that people like Madonna who believe in Kabbalah or Richard Gere, who believes in Budda are somehow respected for these beliefs and left alone. The same isn't true for followers of Christ. It seems like if someone has faith in Jesus, then they are thought of as "Holy Rollers" or made fun of. Jesus told his followers that the road would be a hard one if they were going to follow Him. Matthew 5:11-12, "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in Heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."
Jesus is the way, the TRUTH and the life!

2 comments:

Granny Annie said...

Michele, this is a good essay. You should submit it to something like Guidepost or Chicken Soup for the Soul or one of those daily devotional books. You stated your beliefs very well.

Tim said...

Amen sis Amen. This is all too true and one of the main reasons I have Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. 2 Timothy 2:3 Because it so beautifully covers enduring said persecutions you mentioned as well as refers to us as soliders of Jesus Christ which fits our Fort Thompson theme.

As for the truth part, allot of it was hilarous so thanks for that because I always enjoy a good laugh.

Love and Prayers,

Tim